Since the outbreak of the recent Covid-19 pandemic, there has been a call to protect yourself and others by staying home. If you have to go out, please to wear a face mask.
Currently, the supply of surgical masks is at a critical all-time low globally. Sewing a reusable fabric face mask is an alternative to fight against the spread of the disease.
What’s more, health officials now recommend people cover their mouths and noses with a fabric face mask when in public. This is a voluntary public health measure meant to help stop the spread when people must visit to public spaces such as grocery stores and help people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others.
The pattern has the follow features:
- Made of two layers of fabric.
- Pleats on each side provide shape.
- A pocket for filter to make the face mask more effective.
- A flexible wire inside is added at the top edge of the face mask to provide a better seal at the nose bridge area.
- Fits around the ears with two elastic bands at the sides.
- If you are unable to find elastic band, head tie made out of ribbons or shoe laces are recommended to use here.
Save the above image and print fit to size on A4 paper landscape.
A sewing video for step-by-step of the sewing process.
For best results: hand wash mask in hot water, line dry, warm iron if needed.
Proceeds from the sale of mask will be donated to support global anti-trafficking efforts.
*Video credits : Sweet Red Poppy